The horrorless horror island

Bill Martin (Dick Foran) is a wheeler-dealer who hasn’t wheeled very many deals lately. He and his partner-in-crime Stuff Oliver (Fuzzy Knight) are deep in debt. He owes rent on both his boat and his waterfront office. One night he and Stuff save a drowning peg-legged sailor named Tobias Clump (Leo Carillo), AKA “The Skipper”.

The Skipper claims he has a treasure map that belonged to the pirate Sir Henry Morgan. He is convinced that the treasure is hidden in a castle on Morgan Island. The island is owned by Martin. Of course he only has half the map. The other half was stolen by a sinister man in a black cape. Someone The Skipper calls the Phantom. Martin, not one to shy away from a moneymaking opportunity comes up with scheme to advertise the old house on the island as a treasure hunt excursion to a haunted castle. The cost is $50.00 per person.

The motley crew of would-be treasure hunters are Martin, Stuff, The Skipper, an heiress named Wendy Creighton (Peggy Moran), her annoying friend Thurman Coldwater (Leis Howard), a dimwitted police officer Sergeant McGoon (Walter Catlett), a cartographer (map expert) Professor Jasper Quinley (Hobart Cavanaugh), a murderer Rod Grady (Ralf Harolde) and his wife Arlene Grady (Iris Adrian). Also in tow is Martin’s Cousin George (John Eldredge), who had suspiciously shown up and offered $20,000 for the worthless island. Also in the darkened hallways is someone known simply as “The Phantom”.

“Horror Island” was released in 1941 and was directed by George Waggner. It’s a charming little suspense movie. It is not a horror movie. An “Old Dark House” mystery on an island. With shades of “Ten Little Indians” thrown in. A comedy/murder-mystery. At only 61 minutes long its quick paced. There is a bit of action going on all the time. More fun than mystery. With trap doors, hidden passages and sweeping staircases the house adds lots of spooky flavor to this who-done-it romp.

The Carfax Abbey stone staircase seen was originally used in Dracula (1931). Many of the remaining sets were recycled from Tower of London (1939).

No comments

Leave your comment

In reply to Some User